Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Deaf people get crumbs

Boy is my husband right. His most common phrase to use is "Deaf people get crumbs".
And that's no joke.

I know I just wrote about deafness and restaurants so this week seems to be the week of revelations for me.

This week we (kids and I)  got to go to a local museum and I realized something for the very first time. Maybe it had been hidden in my subconscious all along but I'd repressed it. Maybe accepting the truth was too painful. Or maybe I just never knew. But apparently museums have free classes! What?!

Yeah I can hear all you hearing people say- You never knew that? ---NO I didn't!

I always thought that man standing with the iguana was just standing there. And that lady with the sea creatures you can touch- who knew that she was actually telling the kids interesting facts about them!

Deaf people get the crumbs.

Even though ADA has been around since 1990, so few places actually are ADA accommodating. And I understand why but still.... Deaf people get crumbs. Think of all the things we learn by incidental learning. Overheard conversations, or lectures, or classroom settings, or speeches at the museum. The world is swimming with information. And almost none of it is accessible to Deaf people. It's SAD. It's a shame!

Honestly I don't know how to make things better. But with technology something needs to be done. The world has no excuse. It's time to say No more crumbs for Deaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment