Monday, June 24, 2013

World News: Brain Stem Implant- Good or Evil?

Making headlines these days is an adorable deaf boy named Grayson from where else but Charlotte, NC. Not only have I read the news, many well meaning friends and family members have forwarded articles to me on Facebook, email, and more. I've not responded till now.

First of all, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Is he a cute, absolutely adorable kid reacting to something new to him- sure!!! Are his parents evil for choosing for him have surgery at such a young age- naw. Does everyone want what's best for young Grayson? Surely.

But still it irks me.

I don't know if it's my self-defense of American Sign Language that jumps in, or loyalty to Deaf culture, or something deeper. It's not even my child, so ultimately I have no say so. Still, I think the thing that bothers me is not that he had the surgery but how much the media eats up this kind of thing. "Deaf kid hears parent's voice for the first time!"  (automatic tear-jerker right?) 

Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. Being about to hear isn't a bad thing. But any time this type of article comes up, I automatically wonder- will the parents stop signing? Did they even know to sign with their child from the beginning? It all boils down to: IS VISUAL LANGUAGE AVAILABLE?

Again and again, people think- "Awwww... he has a cochlear, he has a hearing aid, he has a (insert devices/surgery).... that means he's hearing now!"  NO NO NO NO. Devices are imperfect, hearing aids break, surgeries can fail and even then the exterior part is not wearable 100% of the day. I'm not here to make people cry but reality is your child will NEVER be hearing. This is what bothers me- that people keep trying to make their child something they are not- hearing.

Now back to the story of Grayson- his parents use cued speech. Not the same as ASL but at least it's better than no visual language. I hope that Grayson grows to be a charming young man and still has visual language available at all times in addition to his new brain stem device. And MOST of all- that he is loved for who he is- not for what he can and can't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment