Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Testimonial Tuesdays: Drive-thrus and Deafness

WARNING: Mini rant ahead

Seriously how hard is it to understand the words "I AM DEAF" ????

Okay- so restaurant ordering and deafness seem to be in opposition to one another. The quality of service tends to go down exponentially based on the prices on the menu. Upscale restaurant I might get a nice enough waiter willing to write on a notepad or gesture some. For example waiter signs "you? drink?" (which always is the sign for "alcohol"... poor ignorant hearing people).

But once we get into fast food all bets are off. Usually I get a blank stare or some fool repeating themselves 100 times as if the "I AM DEAF" I just stated evaporated into thin air before hitting their brains.

Now add that to the fact that I have 5 kids and sometimes I would like to just use the drive-thru like everyone else. HAHAHA (can you sense the sarcasm?)

So one day I'm driving through the local chain burger joint. I do the "I AM DEAF" and give my order the best I can (I speak well, just can't hear). They start up the fool thing. 100 repeats of whatever-the-heck- question. I just repeat the I AM DEAF and pull up. Now at the window, if I haven't managed to tick them off (this time I'm lucky), I usually sign while I talk to make my point about the I AM DEAF. So this cashier says- "Oh! I see your hands moving and I know it's not English. Are you speaking Spanish?"

What?!?
 
Now sadly- this is NOT the first time I've been asked this EXACT same thing.  Still I did get a little shocked and tickled all at once. I managed to hold my laughter till I get at least an inch out of the drive-thru to try to not hurt her feelings. Trust me- if I was speaking Spanish you'd be even more confused... if that was possible.

Ahhh I love restaurants and deafness. o-O




No comments:

Post a Comment